Friday 25 November 2011

Change in conceptual direction

I have decided to change the subject matter of my project from the project orientated around lifespace.cc. I feel that i have exhausted my interest in it however the research made from this project will power my new project.
The work of Cildo Merelies has influenced me greatly by applying images and messages onto various items that were already widely circulated and which had value discouraging them to be destroyed such as banknotes and coca cola bottles (which were recycled by way of a deposit scheme).
My initial idea with lifespace.cc was to get my message onto the site and i did this though a blog however i felt that this was not enough and not enough people were seeing the message through my work. So i have chosen to change the theme of my project but keeping my initial intention which is to covertly distribute a message into a consumer product that is out of place with the usual style of advertisement.

Typography

I intent to convey my message through the medium of typography, a technology. The advertisements of products relies heavily on iconic styles and typographies. When we go to the shops we are bombarded with these iconic styles that we hold in our cultural memory. We have certain expectations of a product through its advertisement design. Why is a certain stye of type used on a loaf of bread and another style used on a can of beans? How would our expectations of a product change if the type didn't match the product? How and why wouldn't a style match a product? These are questions that i want to look in to.

No comments:

Post a Comment